Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My best friend, the trombone


Good god. I've spent more time playing the trombone today than I have sleeping. First, there was marching band practice in the morning, then I was recruited into training the new trombonist. She's never played a brass instrument before, but she's a very nice girl and very eager and willing to learn, so that's making things a lot easier. Later that day, there was my concert band class, which I got smacked by a flutist, causing my mouth to bleed, which made it painful to play (I did anyways though.) Finally, after all that, there was a practice of the jazz band I joined. I have no experience playing any jazz at all on any instrument, but it's so much fun. I seriously have a blast with everything we do... I need a cool jazz musician nickname though :P

Oh! Getting off topic, I conducted my entire concert band today (about 40 instruments). The band instructor was in the next room doing something with the percussionists, and he left the podium completely unattended. Sitting there in the back row, I thought- "I could do what he does." So I walked up to the podium, opened his book to the piece I wanted to conduct, picked up the baton, and shouted for everyone to pay attention and get out the one I wanted to conduct. Surprisingly, every single one of them complied. I began conducting, and they began playing. It was truly one of the more fantastic things I've done. Less than a minute after I began playing, the director walked back in to see why the band was playing with such abnormal organization, and laughed when he saw me on his podium. Then, he made eye contact with me, grabbed his trombone from his office, sat in my seat, and played my part. I felt simply wonderful with myself after that.

Oh!- This is the setlist my concert band is playing for our spring festival coming up in several weeks.







1 comment: