Saturday, June 12, 2010

Superheroes


I love superheroes.
Y'know why? Because they're so much larger than life. With superheroes, the only limits are yourself. They can fly, or transform, or stop bad guys, or shoot really cool laserbeams.
In essence, I love them because they're just better than reality, and the fact that they aren't real makes them even more amazing. It means that somebody had to dream them up, and somebody has to keep dreaming to keep them, their stories and their fantastic universes alive.
Mr. Fantastic, AKA: Reed Richards. A brilliant astrophysicist with the ability to stretch his body, up to lengths of one mile. When he realized that he and his companions (Invisible Woman, AKA: Susan Storm, the Human Torch AKA: Johnny Storm and The Thing, AKA: Ben Grimm) had their physical bodies altered by cosmic radiation, I swear, he did one of the coolest things in comic book history. Instead of getting with the government, or trying to suppress the actions of Johnny (who is extremely reckless) he came up with the concept of giving them outlandish names and costumes so that the public would be more fond of the light-hearted heroes that were on their world.
Say what you like, but I can't help but think that's just the coolest, and most effective thing anybody could have done in that situation. It makes me grin a little just to think about it.

Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be a superhero. I could never explain why, and even now, I still only have a pretty vague idea. I know it's impossible by every stretch of the imagination, but it's such a fantastic concept.
For me though, I think the biggest thing is challenging real life. I could be on top of the world. I could fly over mountains, or catch bullets. Basically, nothing could stop me. I could be amazing.

I wish I could be superhuman... beyond any other definitions of fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment