Sunday, June 13, 2010

Start again

There are so many things I want to say to you, but time’s caught me up and now I’ll never say them — except that I’ve loved you from the moment I saw you and every moment since.” ~ Robin Hood


I inhale, and stare down the isle, as everybody looks up at me expectantly, as though I should have any idea what to do. That aside, I don't feel terribly worried. There's something about wearing a suit, and being the center of attention that's very empowering. I feel somewhere in-between in control, and passing out... so slightly better than an ordinary day.
My little brother makes eye contact with me, and mouths the words "What's going on?". I just shrug. People are beginning to shift uncomfortably in their seats, and whisper to one another, in what I imagine is a similar in fashion to my brother's anxiety. For a second, I think I catch her father glare at me, but it might just be in my head.

Suddenly, one door swings halfway open, and a female figure steps through, as if thinking that she could get by unnoticed if she was quiet.

Unlike her, to say the least.

Collectively, the entire building lets their breath out in relief, except for me. I can feel something in the air that everybody else seems to be numb to.

If the delay was forgotten, she looks like the perfect bride. One of the ones from a picture in a magazine. She stood confidently, despite claiming to me once upon a time that she would never dress up formally, even for her own wedding. Five-ten, she stands at the same height as me, and the heels made it look even more queer. Her hair is straight, shoulder length, with traces of redhead genes in her brunet lineage. Her shocking blue eyes are articulated with an usual dose of makeup underneath her glasses. To me, she looks way out of her comfort zone, but if you didn't know her, you'd be surprised that she doesn't look like this every day.

Then she winks at me. A split second gesture, but the stakes have quickly changed. I don't know what to, but I'm quickly on my toes.

In one fluid motion, she kicks off her shoes, and bolts out the door, faster than her dress should allow.

My brother starts whispering something to me, but I can't hear him... I'm already coming up with a plan. Before anybody has time to react, my jacket is at my feet, and I'm sprinting after her.

As I near her, she grabs my hand and comically calmly, she says "I told you this was gonna be the best day of our lives!"
"Where are we going?"
"..."

Hand in hand we step through the church doors, and the cool Autumn wind blows through my shirt, sending a shiver down my spine. The sun is beginning to set, and the small town street feels sleepy in both directions. There's small white car running next to the sidewalk. It's mine. I think about asking where she got the keys, but I decide it's in my best interest not to.

"Aren't you gonna open the door for me?" she grins, stepping down the stairs toward the vehicle. I loosen my tie with one hand, as I shake my head and open the door. People are beginning to walk out of the church, and her father is shouting at her, though not angrily. She rolls down the window, and waves to the quickly forming crowd as I step into my car. Looking over at her, I close my door and smiling like a maniac I say to her, "Hold on, darling."

I punch the gas, and the tires spin for a second before gripping, and we take off, heading east, toward the advancing night.



A/N- Started off as a wedding gone wrong, but in the process of creation, became about a psychotic bride. I still like it though. Please share your thoughts, I appropriate feedback and all that jazz.

3 comments:

  1. James and I read this at the same time, and we both loved it. Fantastic my cousin! This is really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo! *claps* I like this. Quite a bit. I love the mystery and spontaneity of it. What a wonderful wedding... xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't often come across writing that is just plain, flat-out, makes-your-heart-beat-faster-fun: and this piece fits the bill perfectly. It makes me wish it was a little longer but I'm not sure what the extra lines would entail, so perhaps it's fine as it is. Great work. =) This is probably the only kind of wedding I'd like to be invited for.

    ReplyDelete